Monday, January 28, 2013

I may not understand football but I still love teams

To begin, and because it's coming up to the Super Bowl, this is the extent of my football knowledge: I know that touchdowns and field goals are really good and that touchdowns are worth six points (why the guy who gets the touchdown then kicks the ball one more time to get one more point rather than another six still puzzles me.)  I also know that a first down is running a little way up the field to get to the end zone which is also a good place to get to. I don't really understand why the two teams start out in two neat lines. I used to think that for some inexplicable reason they liked to be orderly for a few seconds before hurling themselves at each other in their quest to get the ball and run like mad towards the end zone like their lives depended on it. 

Maybe I do have a basic knowledge of what football is but I think I'd enjoy football more if I felt it was less complicated. What I do like about football is how people get so passionate about supporting teams they like, it's as if, in supporting the team they're part of it.  Granted it does make me sad when people get angry/riotous if their team loses. However I still like the idea that people can go all out to support a team. I ran track in high school which unlike football is fairly straightforward. Although, before I joined the track team I didn't understand quite why people liked running around in circles. Truth be told, I joined track because I always hated gym class and if I did a sport for a semester I didn't have to take gym. I didn't do so well with contact sports and I wasn't able to swim fast enough to qualify for the swim team so track seemed like the best option and it turned out to be one of the best things I did in high school. For four years straight I happily held the position of being the slowest person on the team.  I never felt like it was a big deal. The team I was on was really good but what I liked best was how supportive everyone was and I think my running time improved because of this. Running grew to be something I liked to do (and still do occasionally.)  

I really enjoyed cheering my teammates on and somehow just finishing a race made me feel good because my teammates, like my family were there and still cheered for me. I don't think I really understood the phrase that there is no "I' in team until I joined track. I used to think it was the corniest idea. However, once I had joined the team I learned that in finishing a race, in a small way I was contributing to the team's success and because the team won, so did I in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment