Saturday, January 19, 2013

Maggie's Mother's Banana Bread Recipe

Even though one of my New Year's resolutions was to eat healthier I still have to admit that I love banana bread. I reason that since banana bread has bananas it's somewhat healthy so I'm not breaking my New Year's resolution that badly. Anyway, I've been using this recipe that I got from one of my mum's cookbooks and every time I've made it people seem to like it a lot. It's a fairly foolproof recipe so I thought I'd pass it along. The only thing I'd caution people about is that it's really important to test the bread is ready by sticking a toothpick or knife in the bread. If the knife comes cleanly out of the bread then it's done! Hope you make/enjoy it!

Banana Bread Recipe

Ingredients:

1 cup of sugar
4 oz (1 stick) of butter
2 eggs
3 tablespoons of milk
1 teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
2 cups of self rising flour
2 ripe/overripe bannanas
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence (optional)
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Chocolate chips (optional-amount to be decided by maker!)

Instructions:
  
Cream butter and sugar and add well beaten eggs. Then mash bananas and add them with flour bicarbonate of soda with milk and vanilla essence. Finally add chopped nuts and chocolate chips if desired. Bake in greased baking tin at 350 degrees for about 1 hour then let cool. It's done if it's turned a golden brown color and you can stick a toothpick in it and it comes out clean.

Note: You can also use this recipe to make cupcakes-just pour mixture created above into cupcake holders rather than a whole pan. Cupcakes cook faster so the key is to make sure that like the bread above, each of the cupcakes are golden brown and if you stick a toothpick in each one, the toothpick should come out cleanly.

No comments:

Post a Comment