Sunday, January 20, 2013

Small acts of rebellion!

I used to think that to do something rebellious one had to go round doing things like: racing fancy cars off cliffs,  getting high on some substance, (FYI: drugs are bad-just say no!- not that I've ever done any but I digress,) spray painting walls, or growing Mohawk hairstyles or some such thing. (FYI: according to Wikipedia-an excellent source for information,  "Mohawk" means "they animate things"-which may explain why Mohawk hairstyles stay up so well....but I digress-again.)  Even though I have contemplated getting a Mohawk hairstyle and promptly decided against it, (I'd look like I'd cut my own hair while under the influence of some substance-which would definitely prove that drugs are bad-but.... I digress yet again)  I have still done some things that I like to think are rebellious. 

For example, sometimes I decide to read the beginning of a book then the last paragraph. I figure that if the beginning is good I'll read the last paragraph to confirm that it is good. I won't always read the middle because if the beginning and the end are sad then the story just goes down hill in the middle so why bother.  I've also, as evidenced in my previous posts, given hugs to random strangers and I danced on a table once. Yes I was fully clothed at the time, yes I did dance to "YMCA" by the Village People (as I was at a YMCA leadership camp at the time). No the table didn't break, no I didn't fall off the table (I was taken off it before that could happen) and no I wasn't wasted-just felt like doing something a little crazy. The best of it is I remember doing all of those things and I had fun! Additional bonuses: none of it was terribly destructive to anyone's health or safety and none of it caused any property damage. 

From all that, I guess I learned that a little rebellion doesn't have to hurt anyone. Although I probably won't  be dancing on tables again any time soon, from doing all of these things I've also learned that sometimes things that seem a bit nutty at first glance, can be a lot of fun and in that way they didn't seem so crazy after I did them.

1 comment:

  1. love it Maggie! Thanks for sharing...I love the quote by Eleanore Roosevelt - "do one thing every day that scares you." your post today reminds me of it.

    ReplyDelete