Saturday, January 26, 2013

The things I learn from listening to "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me!"

I  feel the need to admit that I'm an NPR addict and I love the show "Wait Wait Don't Tell Me," which is a quiz show comedy program that airs on Saturdays asks questions of its audience members and celebrity guests about the week's news. (For more information click here.) From listening to the show I've come across some excellent news stories and facts that I felt should be more widely publicized. See below.

How Scientology got started

Apparently L Ron Hubbard ( the father of Scientology) got the idea for Scientology while under laughing gas at the dentist’s office. I never realized that going to the dentist could be such a significantly religious experience. All I can say is when they gave me laughing gas when my dentist took my wisdom teeth out, I can't remember what I thought about but I'm pretty sure I didn't feel particularly religious when I came out of it!

Why British people are exemplary

According to Oprah, in order for couples not to fight so much and have a lasting marriage they should pretend there's a British person in the next room since people from the UK are well known for being generally well mannered. Oprah clearly knows the secret why my father who is American has been married to my mother who is from the UK, for 34 years!

It used to be illegal to insult police horses and other animals used by law enforcement in the UK. Now people can apparently shower these poor animals with insults as the law has been changed. (This change stemmed from a man who was prosecuted for asking a British policeman if the policeman’s horse was gay. Why that was considered  as insulting I still don't understand.) Anyway, if you go to the UK now you can swear at a policeman’s horse if you really feel the urge.

Really stupid crook stories
 An Alabama man who was trying to rob a Starbucks gave up when the cash register wouldn’t open. He decided to have a cup of coffee instead-proving once and for all that Starbucks coffee is crazy addictive-so much so that it’s useful in crime prevention.

Three criminals in Colombia were foiled in their plot to rob a convenience store as their “getaway vehicle” was a donkey that started making lots of noise as it was being loaded up with loot, thus proving that donkeys are smart and that crime doesn’t bray!

1 comment:

  1. I love this NPR news quiz too :) Always lots of fun but haven't been listening recently.
    Thanks for the stories!

    ReplyDelete