Friday, February 1, 2013

A Very Comforting Thought

"Everything will be all right in the end and if it's not all right it's not yet the end." -Sonny Kapoor  from the movie The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.

There's something immensely comforting to me in the thought that things will be all right in the end and they are, come to think of it. When I think about my life so far and about the things that I felt were once insurmountable problems, they always seemed to turn out ok at least in the end. Things may not have fallen into place in a nice, neat fashion and things might not have gone exactly as planned. However,  somehow I was still  on my feet in the end. I believe that there's a lot of resilience in everyone that helps us to keep going. After all, if everyone crumpled into heaps at the first sign of trouble I don't think our civilization would have lasted as long as it has. This idea isn't meant to discount the fact that life can be hard. It's just that, as bad as things might seem to be, I still think that people have the strength to meet the difficulty and come out better for experiencing the challenge even though it might not seem that way all the time.

My hope is that people can look at all of the things they've come through and be proud that they still survived. Even if people believe their lives have been terrible,  I think it's awesome that at the very least they had the strength to meet those terrible things and still survive. After all, our lives are the most precious things we have. In any case,  if everything was always good I don't think we'd really appreciate the good things we have going for us and in that sense, maybe life wouldn't be as fun. 

So to close, I hope that no matter what happens that you keep fighting the good fight and as my mum has always told me: don't let the bastards grind you down  because things will ultimately be all right!

1 comment:

  1. thanks for the inspiring words maggie! love the quote from your mom :)

    ReplyDelete