Monday, February 4, 2013

I'm going to carpe diem!

I'm not usually a country music fan. I tend to subscribe to my dad's belief that if you listen to a country song backwards the wife doesn't leave (or does come back) to the poor cowboy,  the cowboy's truck doesn't break down and his dog doesn't die (or miraculously comes back to life, depending on one's preference for the miraculous.) I realize that not all country songs are about those things and there is one country song that I do surprisingly like. That song is "Live Like You were Dying" by Tim McGraw. It's all about what this guy did when he found out he was dying. It got me thinking that it was so silly that people wait til they know/they're told that the end is near, to do the things they really wanted to do all their lives and to tell the people closest to them that they love them so much. Why wait that long? Why throw all caution to the wind at once when you could throw it in small does and enjoy it more? Why wait to ensure people know that you love them very much?  When I think about all this, somehow it makes me feel a tad frustrated.

To relieve some of this frustration I have resolved to tell people that I care for them very much, just so they're very aware of the fact. I've also thought about making a bucket list. I'm not sure of everything that should going to go on it quite yet but whatever does get on the list are things that I'm going to be able to do/make a point of doing. For starters, I think hang gliding might be in order and I'd like to go to India and Cuba  as I think they'd be interesting places to visit. (although not on the same trip of course.) Whatever else ends up being on my bucket list I plan to carpe diem! (I'm sure that's not how you're supposed to write/say that phrase but I do plan on taking every day and doing my best to live it well!)
 
After writing this, one thing still really puzzles me: who in the heck coined the phrase "kick the bucket"?  He or she must have either been a rather violent individual or a footballer if their intent was really to leave this earth while kicking something.

No comments:

Post a Comment