Sunday, February 3, 2013

My mighty poinsettia


First let me say that I was never much of a gardener. My mum has two flower gardens and she would try and get me to help her get the weeds out of them every now and again. Her efforts to bring the gardener out of me ended when it was apparent that I tended to pull up more flowers than weeds. Anyway, since that time I've actually made progress, I have managed to keep the plant pictured above (which is a poinsettia) alive for over a year now. (Never mind the fact it doesn't seem to want to flower anymore-it still looks fairly healthy.). It just seems to soldier on no matter what. For example, I had to leave it in my apartment when I went back to visit relatives for Christmas. I put some water in the bottom and when I got back 10 days later the plant was still miraculously alive.

I never thought I'd get all sentimental about a plant but what I like about this particular plant is not just the simple fact that I've kept it alive. Since I got the plant it's seen me through a lot of difficult times. It was at those times I'd look at it and think "If the plant can last through so much, then so can I." It's funny how a plant can provide hope and a little comfort in times of need. When the spring comes I'm thinking I might get another potted plant so that I can have at least one flower/plant that actually blooms. If I'm successful in keeping flower/plant alive for a decent length of time then I'll do my mum proud for keeping not one but two plants alive and I'll be doubly hopeful because I'd have two plants that just won't give up!

No comments:

Post a Comment