Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why Shakespeare is responsible for Hallmark Cards

Because it's Valentine's day and I love researching odd facts,  I found out that Shakespeare apparently made little handmade cards with his poetry on them to give as gifts. I don't know whether he specifically gave them out on 2/14 during the Middle Ages. I guess Hallmark took that idea to a modern-day even more commercial level. The company actually started making Valentine's cards in 1913 and now, voila! We have a holiday! So now you know how Shakespeare helped Hallmark make it big! Still, why a naked boy who shoots arrows at people for fun, just to make them fall in love, is still used to symbolize Valentine's day is puzzling to me. I don't know about the rest of you but if I saw someone (especially a naked kid) coming at me with an arrow, I'd run! (even if my future love life would be destroyed by doing so!)

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment