Sunday, March 31, 2013

Favorite Easter Memory

One of my favorite memories of Easter was my 5th birthday.  Since my birthday was/is around Easter my mum planned this party for me where she planned to invite I think everyone in my preschool class  (about 10 kids) to our house and make individual pizzas and she managed to persuade my dad to dress up like the Easter Bunny. So she went out to get the Easter Bunny costume for my dad but when she got to the store she couldn't find an Easter Bunny costume to save herself. What she did find was a costume for a "San Francisco Chicken." (Basically a chicken costume.) I don't know how she managed it but she  somehow persuaded my dad to wear said costume. The plan was that he'd hide a bunch of Easter eggs with candy in them,  in difficult to find places so that while the pizza cooked us kids would be occupied by looking for the eggs. 

Little kids are smart so we found the eggs in about 2 minutes. The next game (that we made up ourselves) was "chase the big chicken guy and figure out who he is!" (I don't think it occurred to me that it might have been my dad.) So my poor dad had to resign himself to being chased around the house by a bunch of 5 year olds. Finally, (after what probably seemed like an age to my dad,) the pizzas were ready and my dad took off his costume much to my and my friends' amazement. After that the party went off without a hitch and I think everyone had a good time although my mum never asked my dad to dress up like a chicken (nor anything else) after that.
Now that I'm older I still remember that event and I think what I like most about it is that it shows how my parents went to great lengths (even facing some discomfort) to make sure my siblings and I had very happy birthdays. Their efforts never failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment