Saturday, March 2, 2013

Ready, set, cook!

Providing I don't burn the heck out of my food when I cook, most of the time things I make seem to turn out rather well and somehow I haven't managed to set off fire alarms yet! (knock on wood!) A lot of what I learned to cook came from my parents. Despite the fact that my dad jokingly says that the best thing my mum makes for dinner is reservations, my mum is a pretty good cook. My dad also worked as a cook as a younger adult so he's not so bad himself. Between them my parents taught me and my siblings the basics (e.g. that there is life outside of a microwave) and as a result, as an adult I've pretty much been able to cook well enough to feed myself without too much difficulty. So far I've stuck to fairly safe options consisting mainly of chicken/ground turkey, some sort of vegetable and noodles or rice or I make tacos out of it. They're simple and perhaps not all that creative meals but hey, they're edible!

 My only real rules about cooking are to make sure food is cooked thoroughly, maybe add some spices for taste and try not to make the preparation time too long (e.g. no more than 20 minutes.) Even though the use of a microwave is often instrumental in my cooking process, there's something satisfying about a good meal and the idea that I made the food feels like a victory and it's nice to win!


No comments:

Post a Comment