Sunday, March 3, 2013

Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived-Helen Keller

Have you ever noticed how certain (good) smells remind you of people, things, or memories (hopefully happy ones!) For example:

  • The smell of lavender reminds me of my mum. I remember once my mum came back from a trip when I was little. (I forget now where it was that she'd been on  the trip but anyway...) I knew that she was home to stay when I smelled her perfume.
  • The smell of syrup reminds me of how my dad and my siblings used to make pancakes sometimes on weekends which was a lot of fun.
  • Suntan lotion reminds me of trips to the beach especially to Northern Michigan by the Great Lakes where my family has gone on vacation frequently in the summers.
  • Barbasol reminds me of my father. When I was really little and my dad was shaving he'd put a dab of shaving cream on my nose and I'd go running around the house proclaiming I was Rudolph the white nosed reindeer.
  • Pencils (they do have a smell to me) remind me of school which is something I really did enjoy, for the most part.
  •  Asphalt reminds me of track and field which was a lot of fun and a big part of my high school career.
  •  Mixture of coffee, perfume and a little cigarette smoke smells-even though I don't like cigarette smoke at all, the combination of all of these smells reminds me of college which is something I enjoyed and have a lot of happy memories during that time. 
  • Airplane fuel- while it doesn't smell good to me at all, it does remind me of trips I've taken and how I want to continue to travel and take on the world!
There are also smells that I can't put my finger on as to how to describe them and they might not always remind me of happy things but they all do remind me of experiences I've had and how there's so much more to discover and feel good about. So as you see, Helen Keller was right-smell really can transport people through memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment