Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Eli and Edythe Art Museum-A modern art museum that a gal who doesn't usally like modern art actually likes....

I haven't always had the best relationship with modern art. It was something that for whatever reason I didn't like. This might be because I was taken to an art museum and I didn't  understand the art and because like many kids I used to have a rather short attention span I got bored quickly and gained a dislike for modern art. That is until my mum took me to the Broad Museum on my most recent birthday. The museum is in the midst of Michigan State University's campus and as I remember it has a lot of really cool sculptures. There's one sculpture that I really liked that was basically a bunch of little glass droplets hanging from the ceiling.  Although it was cloudy that day, I imagined if the light hit it just right bunches of rainbows would suddenly appear. I know it's corny but if one is feeling a tad down, looking at a bunch of rainbows created by a pretty sculpture would not be a bad thing to go see. Plus, if you really don't like art but are forced to go to see art by a significant other/family member this museum is fairly small so maybe for an hour or so you can take your loved one to the museum and walk in and out fairly quickly. Who knows you may even find you like rainbows too. Although you will have to go to Michigan to see it. If you do go, go in the spring or summer. It's beautiful.

The Broad Museum is open Tuesday through Sunday 10-5. It has extended hours on Friday to 9pm. The website is: http://broadmuseum.msu.edu/about/hours-and-directions.

1 comment:

  1. wow, this sounds really beautiful - yes I know exactly what you mean and it's not corny. Sometimes the stunning beauty in such simple things bring me to tears by how nature and the world around us can surprise us with such small pleasures. Sometimes the big world out there can seem so ugly, but looking at the sun shining through the leaves in the trees remind you of the beauty in the world.

    ReplyDelete