Friday, May 24, 2013

Food to help you sleep

Going off of my earlier post about the importance of sleep I thought I'd share this interesting tidbit of information. The other  day I saw  a man who is a food expert, on the Ellen DeGeneres talk show. ( I like her show so much because she seems to have the most interesting people on it.)  According to the food expert she had on her show, if you have trouble sleeping you should yawn and stretch your arms out 4 times about 30 minutes before you decide you want to go to sleep and apparently you will sleep better. (This is still supposed to work even if you have to force yourself to yawn.) Also, if you find you wake up in the middle of the night and have trouble getting back to sleep,  if you eat two pieces of bread with nothing on them, it releases serotonin in your brain which  will help you go back to sleep again. Finally, pasta dinners also help make you sleepy although you shouldn't have any meat in it as meat/chicken makes it harder to sleep. This surprised me as I always found I slept so well on Thanksgiving  day after eating so much turkey, stuffing, vegetable etc (as I suspect most other Americans eat to excess on that day too-which is what I love about that holiday-it makes overeating excusable on just that occasion!) Anyway, if you have trouble sleeping I hope the strategies above will help! Sweet dreams! (To watch the food expert clip click here.)




No comments:

Post a Comment