Monday, May 13, 2013

Google goes all bespectacled!

Google really is everywhere now. Don't get me wrong I'm not complaining since I know that if I didn't have Google maps on my phone I'd probably end up in God knows where when I'm trying to get to an unfamiliar location. Also, when I'm looking for information I even say "I'll just Google it" like "Google" it's synonymous with the word "search." Coincidentally I also have a Gmail account and even this blog is run by Google. (It is apparent to me that Google pretty much runs various aspects of my existence-mostly for the better though, again no complaints from me!)  Now it seems that Google has come out with Google Glass which appears to be a pair of glasses which are voice activated and interacts with the internet so you can translate stuff and take pictures and search the web. (Wow!)  (To read more about them click here.)

Although I don't have one of these Google Glass thingamajigs, the pessimistic side of me (and yes I do have some pessimistic tendencies) worries about what would happen if it didn't understand me. For example, I might go shopping with it looking for tablecloths and I'd try and tell it to look up pictures of them so I could pick out one I like before heading to the store. I can only imagine my frustration if it persisted in showing me pictures of  something like bottles of mouthwash instead! Perhaps it means I should consider taking elocution lessons as to ensure I speak extremely clearly before buying one of these glass thingys? (In fairness to Google, I'm pretty sure they've been working hard to ensure that the glasses will be very understanding instruments-though perhaps not in a therapeutic sense of course, but I guess it could look up understanding therapists on command.) 

Since I already wear glasses by prescription I can't use Google's glasses anyway.  Personally, I'd be much more impressed (and I think it would revolutionize my life) if Google came out with windshield wipers for glasses. When it rains and I have to take them off to de-fog/wipe them off just to have them get wet all over again, I've often thought how nice it would be if some gadget could just get the water off for me. Yes, I know they'd probably look bizarre but I still think it would be useful! If I could get glasses to help me see in the dark that would be pretty awesome too. Maybe I'll become an inventor and figure out how to do all that and rival Google one day.  Oh the possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment