Thursday, May 2, 2013

Growing up is overrated...

 I don't think I'll ever grow up. Now this doesn't mean I won't gain a small measure of maturity but I hope that I never lose the kid in me that still thinks Big Bird is awesome, that refuses to go to bed on time (perhaps to the cost of my health but oh well....) and still likes playing with slinkies every now and again. A song that I think embodies this sentiment is "I Won't Grow Up!" from the play Peter Pan. The lyrics are below and I hope they inspire people to rebel and never let the kid inside leave you!  (Please note that I didn't include the whole song because it's long. Even though the song is written for a boy to sing I think the essence of the song still applies to everyone!)

I Won't Grow Up

I won't grow up,
I don't want to go to school
Just to learn to be a parrot,
And recite a silly rule.
If growing up means
It would be beneath my dignity to climb a tree,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me!
Not I,
Not me!
 

I won't grow up,
I don't want to wear a tie.
And a serious expression
In the middle of July.
And if it means I must prepare
To shoulder burdens with a worried air,
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up
Not me,
Not I,
Not me!
So there!
 

Never gonna be a man,
I won't!
Like to see somebody try
And make me.
Anyone who wants to try
And make me turn into a man,
Catch me if you can!
I won't grow up.
Not a penny will I pinch.
I will never grow a mustache,
Or a fraction of an inch.
'Cause growing up is awfuller
Than all the awful things that ever were!
I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,
No sir,
Not I,
Not me,
So there!

I won't grow up!
I will never even try
I won't grow up!
I will never grow a day
And if someone tries to make me
I will simply run away!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment