Sunday, May 26, 2013

I'm Sherlocked!

I just finished watching season 2 of the BBC's Sherlock TV series from 2010, (yes I'm a bit behind the times but as they say, better late than never.) For those who haven't seen it, the show's premise is basically Sherlock Holmes is a modern guy living in modern London and it follows the stories written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle quite faithfully. Things I like about the show:
  • Sherlock is typically at least 10 paces (e.g. brain waves) ahead of everyone else. (Although this seems to be rather irritating to him.)
  • Even when you think Sherlock's finally  been beaten he always manages to come back and win.
  • Sherlock tells people exactly what he thinks -even if his opinion is rather hurtful to the person he's talking to. I don't know how much I like this aspect of his personality but I like the fact that at the least he's honest.
  • I have a soft spot for Dr. Watson, he puts up with so much of Sherlock's eccentricities, still manages to keep sane and still ultimately loves Sherlock.
  • The show keeps me interested, I can't seem to quite figure out the mystery til the end. (Maybe that's just me but still... it makes the show more intriguing for me.)
  • I like Sherlock's housekeeper, she's really quite clever and loveable at the same time.
  • The fact that the ringtone on Sherlock's archenemy Moriarty's  phone is "Staying Alive" is awesome although to me it kind of makes him seem a little less evil. (Maybe it's naive but I still like to think there's a little bit of good in everyone. Even if that little bit is tiny!)
  • His brother Mycroft is annoyingly funny and I like the name Mycroft- it sounds as dignified as the man likes to think he is.
  • Irene Adler is my favorite of Holmes' adversaries. She's smart enough to (almost) outsmart Sherlock and outside of Moriarty she's one of the few people I think Sherlock respects.
  • I like the show's theme song. It's adventurous!
I chose to write this post because today I (very happily) found out that more episodes have been planned! They're supposed to come out in September (according to IMDB.com.) I'm not sure if that means that they come out in the UK in September and not the U.S. until later. (That scenario would greatly annoy me but I suspect I'd survive somehow!) The game's not up yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment