Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Perhaps I would have enjoyed math more as a teen if...

 As a child/teenager I had a pretty strong dislike of math. Part of this may be due to the fact that in order to help us all to get better at math my parents enrolled me and my brother and sister into an after school math program. At the end of each month each student got a report of the progress they made that month. I remember one month they had us all in a line and my brother was first and when the instructor showed his progress line it was off the charts because he'd always been very good at math. "That's really great work!" I remember the instructor saying to him, "keep it up!" My sister was next and she was pretty good at math too so her progress line was also rising fairly well and the instructor told her to keep up the good work too. I happened to be the 3rd in line that month so when the instructor got to me and showed my progress report with a flat line, she said "Maggie, don't feel bad, there's always something to be said for consistency!" I remember distinctly bursting out laughing after she said that and feeling slightly better because at least I hadn't gotten worse. Anyway,  for whatever reason this joke below reminded me of that event and regardless I just thought the joke was funny!

A boy was teaching a girl arithmetic, he said it was his mission. He kissed her once; he kissed her twice and said, "Now that's addition." In silent satisfaction, she sweetly gave the kisses back and said, "Now that's subtraction." Then he kissed her, she kissed him, without an explanation. And both together smiled and said, "That's multiplication." Then her Dad appeared upon the scene and made a quick decision. He kicked that boy three blocks away and said, "That's long division!" (the joke came from: http://www.ajokeaday.com/Clasificacion.asp?ID=41&Pagina=3.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment