Saturday, May 11, 2013

Please share this video and help the Special Olympics!

 I saw this advertisement by P&G on Facebook about the Special Olympics. Apparently, if you "share" a video they created about the Special Olympics P&G will donate $1  for every person who shares it. (To that end, please go to: https://www.facebook.com/thankyoumom) Although the Olympics in itself is inspiring I really think that the Special Olympics is even more so, not just because people with disabilities compete but because it shows how all inclusive sport can be. I think in many ways to me, the Special Olympics also shows the power that families and most of all mothers can have in helping people excel regardless of the barriers they face. I believe that while the will to excel has to come from within, that desire also has to have some sort of influence. For example, I was born with a disability and when my parents were told by a doctor that  I probably wouldn't be educable my mum wouldn't stand for that. My mum and dad had made it their mission to help me and my siblings to be whatever it was we wanted to be and they've stuck by that mission.  I think that if they hadn't done so, that doctor's prediction about my lack academic potential might have become an unfortunate reality. Thankfully, as it happens, what that doctor told my parents has in fact proven to be wrong and I'm really happy that I've done well academically.

Getting back to the Special Olympics, I have to believe that people who are talented enough to be part of that event had someone like my mum and dad behind them who believed in them and refused to give up on them even if their medical prognosis wasn't so great. There's so much people with disabilities (and people in general of course) can do in life and I think the Special Olympics embodies that idea. So I hope that everyone who reads this will share the video linked above. You can also watch it below as well. To end, what I love most about the Special Olympics is its motto: "let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt!" I'm really grateful to my mum (and dad) for helping me to be brave (and to win, of course!)


No comments:

Post a Comment