Friday, May 10, 2013

The things I learned in school....

For the most part I really liked school and my teachers. If they ever read this I hope that they'll be pleased to know that I did learn quite a lot from them. I especially liked it when they went out of their way to make learning fun. Here are some of the more amusing things I learned from them.
  • Greenland was called Greenland by Erik the Red (after he got kicked out of Iceland for murder by the way,) to make it sound more appealing to other settlers. I guess he was a real trendsetter despite being an ex-con.
  • If you don't know the answer to a test just write "Brazil" because according to the laws of probability there's always a chance that that will be the right answer someday. (This came from a math teacher in my high school who actually gave points on quizzes to people who wrote Brazil for an answer to a question-providing that they showed that the had done some work to answer the question but just couldn't figure out the right answer.) 
  • Fizzy drinks like Coca-Cola is corrosive enough to rust a penny.
  • President William Henry Harrison died after only 32 days in office. Apparently he refused to wear a jacket or hat on a really cold day when he was giving his inauguration speech. All he got for his attempt to be a "tough guy" was pneumonia and a premature death. (Gives new meaning to the phrase "you'll catch your death of cold.")
  •  Things are prettier when you don't color between the lines-it's called "abstract art!"
  • Creative spelling is awesome-it's basically spelling out everything phonetically-it was amusing because it helped me learn to write-even if my actual spelling remained terrible for a bit-it's improoved, right??

No comments:

Post a Comment