Monday, May 27, 2013

The veterans in my life

I've always had a soft spot for veterans and since it's Memorial Day, I thought I'd write about two (of the best) men I know who are/were veterans. Both my father and his father before him served in wars, my grandfather in World War II and my father in Vietnam. My grandfather flew planes in World War II and was shot down twice in the Pacific and survived. He went on to run a business, helped raise 8 kids and lived to a ripe old age. My father in turn served in the Army Corps of Engineers in the Vietnam War and afterwards married my mum and has worked hard and has been a great dad to my my siblings and me. Plus I'm happy that as of July 1st of this year my parents will have been married for 35 years. 

I really admire my grandfather and my dad because they did what they felt was right. I'm happy to that I'm my father's daughter and even though my grandad is no longer here, I'm still proud to be his granddaughter. I love them both  very much. I feel like the best way to honor people that have died, especially in the armed forces, is to go on living and I want to do that in a way that would make them proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment