Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Favorite Kids' Books

Since it's summer and I love reading I'm reminded of a program that the library by my family's house had to encourage kids to read. Basically, if you read a certain amount of books and tracked how much you read on a form you got prizes based on how much you read. I think the program is still going. Anyway, thinking of this program got me thinking about books I liked as a kid. I post them here in the hopes that it will intrigue others/help inspire them to read more.
  • Number the Stars by Lois Lowry-it's a fictional story about how a Jewish family escapes Nazi persecution during the occupation of Denmark with the help of another Danish family. I liked this book as although the subject matter is serious it does have a happy ending and is educational. 
  • The Railway Children-E. Nesbit-Three children and their mother move to the English countryside from their former home in London after their father is mysteriously taken away. The children have various adventures involving a railway that is by their new home. I liked it especially because my grandad worked for British Rail. His claim to fame was that he once saved a train by pulling the emergency pull line to stop the train when a small fire broke out in the cabin he was in. When my grandad was interviewed afterwards his only comment was: "I've always wanted to pull the fire alarm!"
  • The Ramona Quimby series-Beverly Cleary- A series of books about the adventures of an 8-year-old girl named Ramona and her adventures with her family and friends as she grows up. I really identified with her as I had (and still like to think I have) an active imagination.
  • Dear Mr. Henshaw-Beverly Cleary-A boy writes letters to an author beginning with a class assignment. He continues writing to the author and telling him about his life. The author and the boy grow to be good friends and learn from each other. Writing letters is fun and the book is funny and poignant at the same time.
  • Matilda-Roald Dahl-A young girl who loves reading develops supernatural powers that allow her to move objects by telling them to move with her eyes. She uses this power to help her cope with living with her horrible family and to protect her teacher Miss Honey and classmates from her school's awful headmistress Miss Trunchbull. I loved the book because I too love reading and helping people and I also had really great teachers like Miss Honey. 

No comments:

Post a Comment