Friday, June 14, 2013

Mariachis can sing the national anthem too!

I just read a story on NPR's website about a boy named Sebastien de la Cruz who got a lot of negative flak for singing the National Anthem in a mariachi costume at an NBA game. In response, he was invited back to sing it again. It got me that if he'd been wearing a Spurs jersey or something I don't think people would have said too much about it. Anyway, I still thought it was really brave that Mr. Cruz was willing to recognize his heritage while also showing that he always has been American. Like many,  I applaud this guy for coming back and singing it again in his costume. It makes me happy to know that despite any negativity that might exist in our world, there are still people that are willing to stand up for what's right and ask the kid to sing again. I hope he keeps on singing because as Shakespeare says in one of his plays: "If music be the food of love, play on!" and I think a little more love in our society would never go amiss! 

To see a clip of  Sebastien de la Cruz singing the national anthem see below.





No comments:

Post a Comment