Saturday, June 22, 2013

What makes a hero a hero?




Although I haven't seen Man of Steel yet, the fact that the movie already tops the box office somehow got me thinking about what makes a hero a hero? Is it their actions? The way they do things? How they inspire us? Maybe it's all of the above. In any case, the idea of a superhero movie also made me think about the people I consider to be heroes (both celebrity and in my life in general.) The people I'd call heroes include:
  • My family: I've written about them throughout this blog. I've always looked up to all of them, my siblings included. I love them all so very much. They've never stopped inspiring me.
  • My friends: They're like my family and their support (along with that of my family) has so often helped me to keep going when things were toughest.
  • My teachers-with patience and through having faith in my abilities they gave me the tools I needed to progress!
  •  Disability rights activists-more specifically Bill and Mary Lou Allan, Joe Bellil, John Winske, Colleen Flanagan, Allegra Stout, Marie Hennesey, Susan Welby, Hang Lee and Sandy Oh: I never thought I'd really get into activism until I met these people. They inspire me because they're really passionate about  a cause and they helped me to become even more passionate and involved in a cause I care about as well.
  • Christopher Reeve: (best known Superman actor) was and always will be Superman to me. Outside of the character, he himself as a man emphasized what a superhero is someone who is courageous, and inspires people to keep going even when things are really hard. He didn't let even paralysis stop him- he showed that people can accomplish whatever they set out to do in life as long as they're willing to put forth the effort, regardless of the circumstances they face. Even though he's no longer alive the things he represented still inspire me.
  • Dr. Ben Carson: A world renowned neurosurgeon who treated me at Johns Hopkins University Hospital. He's famous for separating conjoined twins and saving their lives.
  • Members of the armed services: they keep us safe!
  • Ellen DeGeneres: She's able to use her TV show to help people and discuss causes she cares about. Plus she spreads a lot of joy to people as she's just so funny!
  • Edna from The Incredibles: I know she's not a real person but I just think she's awesome-she saves people with her advice! Case in point: "NO CAPES!" (watch her advice giving powers here.) -I realize that Superman has a cape but I figure there have to be exceptions to rules!
  • Neville Longbottom: I know he's not real either but he represents so much of what I hope to continue to be: funny,  brave, eccentric, and smart! 

No comments:

Post a Comment