Sunday, July 14, 2013

A salute to all those who are learning a language!

It's interesting to me that people are really only recognized for things after they've accomplished whatever it is they're recognized for. Since being recognized for one's work is a real boost to self esteem, I think people should also be recognized when they're in the midst of something and they're working hard. So today, I'm recognizing my roommate as she is here for the summer from Spain to learn English. She's working really hard to learn and even though I think her English is really good she always works harder to learn more. I admire this spirit because I think learning a new language is especially difficult. To be understood and to get around in a new country takes a lot of effort and I think it's really cool that my roommate (like so many people who are here to learn English) is willing to put herself out there, make mistakes and learn and do it all with a smile. Personally, I think I may be a bad influence as I keep trying to get her to speak some Spanish with me so I can learn something too. Most of the time we do speak in English  though, so I don't feel too bad about it. Anyway, to get to my point, I want to say hooray for Maria, and for all the people that are here to learn a new language, I salute you!


1 comment:

  1. Thanks!!! Actually, you help me everyday!!! I appreciate it!!!!! Muaaaak

    ReplyDelete