Monday, July 1, 2013

Happy 35th wedding anniversary to my parents!

I'm very happy and proud to say that today marks the 35th year that my parents have been married! My mum and dad actually met and got married in the UK as my mum is British. My dad was working for an insurance company in London for a while and at some point he lived in an apartment close to one where my mum's sister and her husband were living and they became good friends. Since my father couldn't go home to Michigan for Christmas, my aunt invited him to go with her and my uncle to her parents' house and my mum was there and that's how they met. The romantic side of me likes to think it was love at first sight but I feel like they're too sensible (in the best sense) for that!  When my mum and dad told my mum's parents they wanted to get married my grandmother turned to my mum and said, "why couldn't you marry a nice English boy?!" (My grandmother had already seen another of her children-my aunt, marry an American from Texas.) Despite this misgiving I think my grandparents quite liked my dad so it worked out well.  My parents have done a lot over the past 35 years, including: traveling all over the world together, remodeling a beautiful farmhouse where they still live, and raising 3 great kids together. They've had ups and downs but they've dealt with the ups and downs together and I think they came out stronger for weathering the storms. They still love each other very much and to me they've served as a great example of what a loving relationship is-nurturing, enduring, and most of all, fun!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment