Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Make way for the everlasting (well 45-day lasting but who really cares) Twinkie!

Twinkies are coming back next week! Apparently, they last even longer now-45 days! If you're into science, according to the article I read about the Twinkie's resurrection, the sweet treat's long shelf life is due to the fact that they're made out of about 36 different preservatives with names like sodium stearoyl lactylate. (Personally, sodium stearoyl lactylate sounds like an alien substance out of a comic book to me but I guess if it helps keep Twinkies fresh for 45 days it serves a purpose!) I don't know quite why I'm so excited about Twinkies coming back as I have to admit that I've never had a Twinkie in my life. (Yes, I'm serious.)  I'm now considering doing a little experiment of my own by rushing out next week and buying a Twinkie and then waiting 44 days to see if it's still good! (I have this theory that on the 45th day it'll spontaneously rot as all the preservatives will of course stop working on cue.)   Although it might take some willpower to wait 45 days I'm going to exercise all my powers of restraint and be strong! To anyone interested, I'll keep you posted as to whether Twinkies truly last at least as long as the manufacturers claim or if it's all a big lie put out by advertisers to  make people like me buy them to see how long they really last! Stay tuned!
Picture from: Larry D. Moore CC BY-SA 3.0.http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Hostess_twinkies.jpg

To read an article about the everlasting Twinkie; http://www.wbur.org/npr/200465360/the-science-of-twinkies-how-do-they-last-so-long.

No comments:

Post a Comment