Thursday, July 4, 2013

Things I like about the U.S.

Since it's a day to be patriotic, I thought it might be good to think of things I really like/am proud of about the US. These things include:
  • That it's a nation of immigrants which I think is something that makes this country more unique and colorful.
  • The fact that the right to vote is universal and everyone's opinion can at the very least, be voiced.
  • That people can practice any religion they want.
  • That people can protest. The fact that people can lawfully gather in groups holding signs and yelling about issues that tick them off and the fact that creating this ruckus can serve to bring about change is pretty cool.
  • That this nation gave the world Sesame Street and Disney. ( I think Big Bird is educational and fun and let's face it, life without Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck-my favorite, would be so much less amusing.) 
  • That the first chocolate chip cookie was made in the US!
  • The monuments throughout the country. My favorite is the Lincoln Memorial. When I visited DC-it has a great view of the National Mall and somehow it just seems peaceful to me.
  • That great musicians came from the US like Aaron Copland and George Gershwin.
  • That an American astronaut showed the world that it's possible to walk on the moon.
  • The belief in the US that you can be whatever it is you set out to be regardless of your background, as long as you're willing to work hard and not give up.
Finally, I think what I love best is that the US is my home and the place where most of my family live and I wouldn't have it any other way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment