Sunday, August 18, 2013

Bleak House now seems less bleak to me!

Yay! I've finished Bleak House by Charles Dickens! Why in the name of all that's holy did read it? Because I can! Did I read the end first? Yes! Why did I do that? Because that's how  I read books-I read the end, then I read the beginning, then if the end and beginning aren't too depressing then I go ahead and read the middle (I figure if the beginning and end aren't depressing the middle can't be that bad.) In the case of Bleak House the beginning and end aren't really sad but unfortunately for me, things do get a little depressing in the  middle and Dickens does tend to go on and on a bit about details I think are a bit boring (conveniently skipped over those anyway.)  Despite all that, I'd still recommend reading the book. It's actually pretty good. I'd suggest "reading it" through listening to an audiobook because then you get to listen to someone do all the voices for the different characters, which makes it so much more entertaining. I'm not telling you about the plot as that's complicated and worth a whole other blog post. I'll just say that it's complicated but like all hard books, it's not the destination, it's the journey that counts! So I hope that you read it, like it and  most of all that you finish it! Alternately, if you'd rather not read it, there's a really good miniseries made by the BBC telling the story and you can watch it starting with the clip below. (The miniseries was what actually got me to read the book.)



No comments:

Post a Comment