Sunday, August 25, 2013

How schools supplies helped me learn about Egyptian history....and to stick my tongue out at Einstein

I'm feeling all nostalgic -I get like this around this time of the summer when it's close to the time that kids are supposed to go back to school. I think about how when I was really little it seemed strangely exciting to me to go shopping for schools supplies, to pick out lunch boxes, pens and pencils, notebooks, etc. While I started out as I think many other little girls did, with a lunchbox with Barbie dolls on the front and folders and notebooks with little baby animals on them, as I grew older I think my taste in themes for these supplies became a little more out of the ordinary. History was one of my favorite subjects so I remember that my mum bought me a pencil case which was decorated like an Egyptian mummy's tomb, from a museum gift shop.The case even had Egyptian hieroglyphic writing on the front and on the inside as well. I remember especially liking it because on the back it described how the case was a replica of an actual mummy's tomb. The case I had was modeled after the tomb of a woman named  Seshepenmehit (I think it's pronounced Sheshpemnehit.) All right I know it's kind of morbid to have a tomb for a pencil case but I liked saying Shespemnehit! (Still do as a matter of fact.)

The other favorite school supply that I once had was a notebook with a picture of Albert Einstein sticking his tongue out at the world. I liked it because it showed me that even geniuses have a sense of humor. Plus, sometimes I'd stick out my tongue right back at the picture just to vent my feelings about how irritatingly difficult I felt my science homework was. Now that I don't have much need for pencil cases or notebooks anymore, I kind of miss getting stuff like that. Ah well, at least I don't have to take biology anymore! There's a bright side/blessing to everything!


No comments:

Post a Comment