Monday, August 26, 2013

In honor of the anniversary March on Washington

 Since the March on Washington was celebrated this weekend and I didn't make it to DC to march too, I thought I can still "march" through my words. Today I'm feeling especially idealistic so I wrote the poem below.

All things being equal

All things being equal
As equal they should be
No separation or division
Just plain and simple
People being happy and equal 

All things being equal
People can love who they want
Get jobs where they want
Believe what they want
Marry who they want
Get treated the way they want


Maybe it's idealistic to believe it
Not that I care whether it's idealistic or not,
But I believe if enough people march
and enough people refuse
To let hate and ignorance rule 
Then things that seem idealistic
Won't just be an ideal

When that day comes 
And I know it can come sometime
I'd dance and sing and laugh and just be happy
And if no one else would need to march anymore then
Maybe they would dance with me too instead



 

No comments:

Post a Comment