Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Turkish people tweet like no other!

Psst! I have found the secret to how Twitter really got  started- with actual birds-in Kuskoy, Turkey! In this village a lot of people aren't connected to the Internet but they haven't missed out on the ability to tweet! They've been "tweeting" for years (literally) in  high pitched whistles they call "bird language."  (It's basically a lot of noises made using a combination of one's tongue, teeth and fingers.) People in this village use it to invite their friends and neighbors for tea or even providing instructions as to the best places to get hazelnuts! (I love me some hazelnuts!) Although I think it's pretty cool these people have been communicating in this code-like way, I can see why Twitter got on more widely on computers. I can only imagine the headaches we'd all have if we all followed the example of these villagers and were constantly whistling at each other instead of constantly staring at/typing out insanely short messages to the masses on our smartphones/computers. Despite this, and even though I know I wouldn't be able to use the same whistling pattern as these Turkish people do (mostly because I don't yet know how to speak Turkish) I still like the idea of whistling to communicate. I haven't yet caught on to the Twitter craze as much but maybe if I could "Tweet" by whistling I might enjoy the process more. Especially if it led me to hazelnuts!



This information about Turkish Tweeting  actually came from my mum who read an  article about all this in the Wall Street Journal. Since my mum is a constant source of happiness for me, I figure she should have input on this blog! (If you'd like to read the article as well click here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment