Sunday, September 8, 2013

Happy grandparents day!

In their different ways my grandparents were interesting and fun people. My mum's dad for example, pulled the fire alarm and saved a train and all he had to say afterwards was that he always wanted to pull the alarm and finally got the chance. My dad's father served in World War II and survived being shot down over the Pacific not once but twice. He went on to help raise 8 kids and started his own business which he ran and passed down to my father when he retired. My mum's mother loved baking-a love that she instilled in me, she also made hats and went out of her way to be good to people. My dad's mother was a journalist and had lunch at the White House and met Eleanor Roosevelt. Those things are only part of why I love them. I love them most because of what they stood for. They survived what life threw at them and went on to be successful in their careers and raising their families. I don't think I'd be the person I am if they hadn't instilled certain values in my parents that my parents in turn passed on to me and my siblings. Most notable of these lessons to me, is the idea that you have to keep a stiff upper lip and never give up. Even though my grandparents are no longer with me in person, I know that they're always in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment