Saturday, November 16, 2013

A day out with the awesome girl I mentor for!

I'm a mentor for a really great person and today I had an awesome time hanging out and going to see the movie Thor (just so we could watch him save the world and look incredibly handsome while doing so) and having some ice cream beforehand. I became a mentor through a program from Easter Seals which is an organization that provides services (like support groups, summer camps for kids, assistive technology lending programs, as well as advocating for legislation) to help people with disabilities live full and active lives. I have to say that becoming a mentor is one of the best things I've ever done.

I think the thing I like best about being a mentor is that I can actively support someone and we've become good friends as a result of the program. I was really happy to hear today that my friend got a job after searching for one for a while.  I've learned a lot from the experience of being a mentor. Mainly that I really want to help people reach their goals so it means a lot to me to see her succeed and be happy. Plus, it's fun to see the world from the perspective of someone else. Like today the look of delight on her face after the movie and how she talked animatedly about it after we'd left the theater was great. Just to see her get really excited about seeing the movie made the experience more fun for me. 

 I've gained a good friend from being a mentor. I hope everyone has the chance of being a mentor because it is a lot of fun and  it's a great opportunity to help someone which is always an awesome thing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment