Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Happy International Mountain Day

It's International Mountain Day ( the UN says so)! Although the day is meant to figure out ways to ensure mountains don't waste away, I'm all for celebrating mountains in general.  My own experience with mountains started when I learned to ski when I was 5 in Michigan. My earliest memory of skiing was after getting to the top of one baby hill I was petrified and refused to go down. Then my Dad said, Maggie, you just have to get down the hill that's all. So  finally, I turned my skis and went straight down the mountain without turning as I figured it was the quickest way to get off it. This strategy unfortunately led me to fall down flat at the bottom but that's how I learned that if you want to slow down and stop on skis turning from side to side is a bit essential. Despite that experience I still ski and I still think of my dad's advice that all I have to do is get down the mountain when I'm high up at the top and scared. Somehow I do get down the mountain. I like mountains both symbolically and in reality because in going down them I learned that as long as I can focus on finding a way to get through the experience, things seem less frightening and even enjoyable. So I celebrate mountains because they are beautiful and if nothing else, I know I can always get down one!


No comments:

Post a Comment