Thursday, December 26, 2013

If I only had a box

Today is Boxing Day! Although I think it started as a day when employees got gifts from their employers for their work, it got me thinking that if I were stranded somewhere and only had one box with stuff to help me carry on living what I'd want in the box. I realize this is a bit of an extreme way to take Boxing Day but nevertheless, below are some things I thought about that I'd want to have in the box.
  • A very compact tent (or something to make a tent out of): If all else failed I could always just dump everything out of the box and try and make a tent out of it. I just think a shelter is a nice thing to have.
  • A good supply of trail mix: I love the stuff (which is why I was extremely excited when my brother gave me a large bag of it for Christmas!) It's nutritious! After all, it usually has dried fruit and nuts and then there's chocolate of course, all essential things for survival!
  • A rain jacket: Being wet and cold is no fun under any circumstances.
  • A flare gun: If movies are anything to go by, flare guns seem very useful for flagging down planes/ships etc to come save you.  Plus I always wondered what it would be like to use one.
  • A  long range CW Transmitter (device used to send messages through Morse code): Granted I'd have to learn how to send out Morse code signals properly but still, if all else failed, at least I'd have some form of communication. I'd just have to make sure that I give a similar transmitter to someone nice who'd be willing to answer my distress signals!
  •  A lighter: Once I've accomplished the miraculous feat of getting a lighter to work, I figure a fire is a very useful thing to have (as long as it's a small one, that is!)I'd just have to be very careful how I go about it!
  • A picture of my family: Just so if I start to feel down I can think of them and feel better.
  • A supply of water: Trusting that I won't be stranded for a long time hopefully a couple of gallon bottles will last me a while. 
  • A small glass bowl and a pot so that if I'm stranded by the sea I can get the salt out of the water and have something to drink.
  • Paper, pens and empty bottles so that even if I don't have any internet connection or a computer for that matter  if I'm by water I can still at least try to send happy messages to people when I feel I need a break from building tents, shooting off flare guns, and trying to figure out how to use lighters and send distress signals by Morse code! 

No comments:

Post a Comment