Wednesday, January 15, 2014

E.T. makes we want to go hang gliding

I borrowed the movie E.T. the Extra Terrestrial from the public library today. I hadn't seen the movie since I was very young. My favorite part of the film is the flying when this alien helps a boy named Elliott fly while riding a bicycle. When I watch it it makes me think of hang gliding because it's probably the only way I'll get to do anything like the E.T./Elliot bicycle ride.

I've wanted to go hang gliding ever since my parents went hang gliding when they went to New Zealand on vacation as a belated wedding anniversary trip. My dad somehow convinced my mum to go hang gliding while they were there and although my mum was petrified at first, true to form she agreed to go.  I found out later that my  dad had a lot of fun and while my mum was afraid at first she began to enjoy it and became so inspired by the experience she started reciting poetry by Gerard Manley Hopkins while gliding. My mum does like poetry but I don't think I've heard of her randomly reciting it like that. One of the things I love about my parents in general is that they're adventurous, they speak their minds and they've always encouraged me and my brother and sister to follow that example. I'm grateful to them for that because they've always made me feel free to do things and have experiences and feel really happy. All this is why I, like E.T., really like phoning home!



No comments:

Post a Comment