Saturday, January 25, 2014

Robert Burns on Opera

“Opera is where a guy gets stabbed in the back, and instead of dying, he sings.”-Robert Burns (poet)

Robert Burns was born today in 1759 making this day his 255th birthday. I guess the man didn't like opera much-although he is right in that people in operas never stop singing and it does take an awfully long time for people in operas to keel over. Although maybe there's something inspiring in that. It's as if to say, no matter what happens just keep singing. Anyway, getting back to Robert Burns, he wrote a lot of lovely poetry and my favorite poem by him is below. Not only is the poem sweet but it's also clear that Mr. Burns was a firm believer in creative spelling!


A Red, Red Rose

O my Luve's like a red, red rose
That's newly sprung in June;
O my Luve's like the melodie
That's sweetly play'd in tune.

As fair art thou, my bonnie lass,
So deep in luve am I:
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a' the seas gang dry:

Till a' the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi' the sun:
I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o' life shall run.

And fare thee well, my only Luve
And fare thee well, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho' it were ten thousand mile.

No comments:

Post a Comment