Tuesday, January 7, 2014

There's Hope

Today I was reminded of a song by India Arie that is literally called "There's Hope." What I like best about the song is its refrain, part of  which states that: "It doesn't cost a thing to smile. You don't have to pay laugh." I'm a fan of this part of the song especially, because it reminds me that smiling and laughing are some of the best things to do. I suppose if you took the quote another way and thought that if you could get people to pay you to smile and laugh (e.g. become a good comedian/actor) people might laugh all day long just to get paid. However, the altruistic side of me likes to think that the best and truly meaningful things in life, like love and happiness are (and should be) free to give and receive. So I'm grateful everyone has the basic ability to laugh and smile because it's a wonderful gift to have. Plus I've found that laughing and smiling can be one of the few positive things that are contagious. Sometimes when I think I'm not having the greatest day,  the idea that I can laugh and smile  and that it could help other people to do the same, makes things not seem so bad after all. So I'm writing this and smiling in the hope that the smile spreads!  To listen to the whole of "There's Hope" song click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment