Sunday, March 23, 2014

I love accents!

Everyone has a voice and I think I (like my mum) am attracted to that trait about people more than a lot of things. For example, my mum loves David Attenborough's voice (he's a British naturalist who did BBC nature show commentaries. I don't think he does them anymore because according to Wikipedia, which of course is the source of all knowledge, the man is 87. Still he does have a very nice voice-see the clip below.) I think it's so funny that from the way someone speaks, others can often figure out roughly where that person is from. I rather like the idea that we carry a little bit of where we're from around with us in the way we speak. Personally I think I have a mash up of a Midwestern US accent with perhaps a little British mixed in there somewhere from my mum. Now that I've moved to Boston though, I've found I sometimes also wind up with a tiny bit of a Boston accent, which of course makes me feel wicked smahht! Whatever my words might sound like and even that sound changes, I think I'll always like the idea that I carry a little bit of my home, family, and friends with me in the way I speak. It's yet another reminder that my home and the people I love most in all this world are always with me, which is the main reason why I'm glad I have an accent!

For your listening pleasure (and also because he's my mum's favorite naturalist), the clip below is of David Attenborough. His voice has always sounded very soothing to me.





No comments:

Post a Comment