Sunday, March 30, 2014

Doctors' Day

Today is Doctors' Day which was started in 1933 to remember the first administration of anesthesia by Dr. Crawford W. Long in Jefferson, Georgia, in 1842. Since it's Doctors' Day, I'd like to use this post to thank the doctors I've had in my life. I've seen quite a few of them but I don't see that as a bad thing. I'm alive today because of the efforts of many doctors and I couldn't be more grateful. I'm also grateful to my parents for ensuring that I always got the best possible care. I know that hospitals and doctors' offices aren't really thought of as pleasant places to visit but all the doctors I had were really friendly and I liked that they always treated me as  a person as well as a patient. I remember early on when I was very young one doctor said to my mum something to the effect of that I was really cute and my parents shouldn't let me date until I was 32 so I'd stay out of trouble! Why he thought I'd be more responsible when I turn 32 I still don't know but somehow I think it's funny now.

Doctors have also pulled strings to help me have fun. Once I had to have an unexpected surgery and it just so happened I was due to have a party to celebrate graduating from high school in the afternoon of the next day. When my doctor found out about it, she scheduled the surgery immediately. I came out of hospital the next day and the party was a lovely coming home present. So I celebrate Doctors' day and all the doctors who have helped me throughout my life because my life is better and happier as a result of their efforts.

1 comment: