Sunday, May 25, 2014

To see ourselves as others see us

"O would some power the gift to give us to see ourselves as others see us." Robert Burns

Recently Buzzfeed asked a group of people to come and look into a two-way mirror and talk about what they saw about how they looked. Unbeknownst to them, there was another group of people looking at them on the other side of the mirror and recorded what they thought about the personal appearance of the people on the other side of the mirror.  What I thought was really interesting was the people on the side who were asked to talk about how they felt they looked, had a whole lot of negative things to say about themselves. However, the people on the other side of the mirror had nothing but nice things to say about the people on the other side. What I liked most about the video was the fact that at the end, each person the group who was asked to talk about themselves was able to watch a video of what the people on the other side of the mirror had said about them. It was so nice just to see how happy it made these people and how it helped them to see that there is a lot of beauty in everyone including themselves. I liked how they all basically came to the conclusion that we have to believe in ourselves first. At least from a personal perspective, I've found that the better I feel about myself the better I am able to love others. This is slightly out of context but I'd like to end this post with something my roommate's boyfriend said to me once- he said that you "have to keep love alive." Not that I think love ever dies but I think we keep it more alive by loving ourselves.



No comments:

Post a Comment