Friday, July 4, 2014

Things I've done to declare my independence

Today is Independence Day in the US and to mark the occasion I'm writing about things I've done that have helped me to be a more independent person. I'm listing them here just because I want them all written down for posterity and because I want to!
  • Went to college out of state- although it was suggested by my mother I do this just to reinforce to me that there is life outside of Michigan, I still see it as an independent decision to go out of state. 
  • Got my ears pierced-again independent decision.
  • Move to an apartment with people I didn't know. I made more friends that way!
  • Gave hugs to random strangers on my birthdays.-it was just something I wanted to do so I did it!
  • Started keeping this blog-it has been a very freeing experience as I can write what I want and I don't really mind what people think of it. 
I still have many independence-claiming things to do-haven't figured them all out yet but when I do, I'll do them. Even if it isn't a holiday for you, I hope that you have many ways to assert your uniqueness to the world! 



No comments:

Post a Comment