Sunday, July 27, 2014

To my parents

It's Parents' Day! (A day established by President Clinton to recognize parents for raising children.) The fact that there is a Parents' Day makes me think of how I have so much to thank my parents' for. I'm really proud to be their daughter. Below is a short list of things for which I'm grateful to my parents. (If I wrote down everything I want to thank them for this blog post would go on for ages!) I'm thankful that:
  • My parents always expected me to do my best. I think I worked harder and am more successful because of this. It means a great deal to me when they tell me that they're proud of me. 
  • They never gave up on me.When they were told that I may not be educable they didn't stand for that. They saw to it that I did well in school and got all the way through college and a master's degree. If they hadn't done so, I probably wouldn't have been able to write this blog.
  • They introduced me to new foods. I think that I'm a more adventurous eater because of their influence. (Although I have to admit I still hate peas!)
  • My parents made a point of taking my siblings and I on trips to different countries. I've always liked traveling and learning about other cultures. We've had a lot of fun with that!
  • My parents read books to all their kids before we went to bed.
  • They gave me a love of music. There was/is always some sort of music playing in my house.
  • They taught me that if I want to do something badly enough, then anything is possible.
  • They always told me to keep a stiff upper lip.
  • They taught me that life is short and I should enjoy every minute of it!
  • They taught me that if all else fails read instructions....and make a cup of tea!
Most of all I'm grateful to my parents for helping me and my siblings to have a pretty happy childhood overall. I believe I'm a happier woman because of this. If I know anything I know that my parents love my siblings and me and that's what matters most to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment