Saturday, July 5, 2014

What I learned from watching sad movies-and yes this is a happy post

I just came back from seeing The Fault In Our Stars which is a very sad movie about people dying of cancer but it did get me thinking of how I can still find positive things about even sad stuff. I ended up watching the movie twice because the first time I watched it, all I could think about was how when I die someone better keep writing this blog for me (and believe me, I'd find out!) or I'd come back and write it as a happy ghost and carry on writing.  A little creepy I must admit but desperate times require desperate measures! Anyway, I felt that thought was so funny I had to restrain myself from laughing until the appropriate moment in the film when everyone else was laughing as there were some funny moments to balance out the sad. At the end of it I was the only one in the theater not crying.  Never fear though, the second time watching it I did cry (I felt the need to see it again to prove once and for all that I am in fact a sentimental human being!) All that aside, I've learned quite a bit from watching sad films, mostly that there are in fact some positive things I've learned from watching sad movies-consider the following:
  • Crying induced by watching sad movies can be healthy. Case in point: from watching the movie I am Sam, (about a mentally challenged man who is trying to regain custody of his daughter) I found that as it tends to make me cry hard, I should watch that movie whenever I want to clean out my sinuses really well.
  • Sad movies shouldn't be seen alone-if you watch it with someone else you can share a box of tissues during it and get ice cream and commiserate about it afterwards!
  • Sad movies sometimes come out with rather profound quotes for thought. Example: in The Fault In Our Stars a character named Augustus says (after putting a cigarette in his mouth but not lighting it): "They don't kill you unless you light them. And I've never lit one. It's a metaphor, see: You put the killing thing right between your teeth, but you don't give it the power to do its killing. A metaphor."
  • Sad movies can act as examples of how you can come out stronger after a really bad experience. Even if they are just stories, to me they still reinforce the idea that going through hard times can help make you stronger.
  • If even people in the movies can get through nasty things than I can too! After all, if it's on the silver screen it must be true right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment