Friday, August 29, 2014

The happiness that comes from defying the odds

I listened to a presentation today by a man named Jonathan Sigworth who had been in a biking accident in India which caused him to become a quadriplegic. However, he didn't let this injury stop him and he learned to play sports like wheelchair rugby  and and he learned how to do daily living activities like getting out of bed and getting into his wheelchair by himself.  All this led him to start ESCIP Trust India. The goal of the organization is to show people that paralysis and quadriplegia doesn't have to completely ruin someone's life. The organization teaches people in wheelchairs how to perform basic daily living tasks and also provides them with mentoring and transitional living where groups of people with spinal cord injuries live in houses with their mentors to gain more experience with daily living tasks. What I've learned about this organization reinforces to me how the often the when facing difficult obstacles people become even more determined to live fuller and active lives. I think in that sense disabilities can become strengths. I know I don't usually advertise on this blog but I do so now because I see this organization as a wonderful thing that gives people a lot of hope and also happiness in helping them to have a better quality of life. They are a nonprofit organization that is in need of funds. If would like to check out their website, it is: http://www.escip.org.  I like the title of a documentary on the site that reads: "Imagine a gift from your greatest nightmare." Even nightmares can become blessings-it's just a matter of seeking the blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment