Sunday, May 1, 2016

Thriving women!

I just got back from a conference with some amazing women. It was called the THRIVE conference and it's the kickoff event for a mentoring program that I'm part of, where women with disabilities mentor younger women and girls with disabilities. I'm paired with an awesome young woman and I think we'll have a great time. The conference was a really wonderful way to start the program, we all met up at a hotel and listened to motivational speakers talk about different topics relating to things that effect women with disabilities (employment, what it's like to be a mom with a disability, dating, etc.) We also played Family Feud and decorated giant letters to form the word "Empowerment." It was really fun! Plus, I was able to get to know the woman I'm mentoring and to learn more about what she and I hoped to gain from the program. I'm glad this program exists because I have a disability and when I was younger such a program didn't exist where I grew up. So I'm glad I can do this for someone else. I was a mentor through this program before and very much enjoyed the experience. I learn a lot from being a mentor, the women I've met with always made me want to be a better person so that I can be a better mentor for them. Being a mentor is something I hope more people do. Being part of the program makes me feel happy in any case. If you're a young woman living in Massachusetts and would like to participate in the THRIVE mentoring program next year please follow this link:  http://www.easterseals.com/thrive/.




No comments:

Post a Comment