Sunday, August 28, 2016

One rather unique gift someone gave me...

Elizabeth Ann Seton (the first American Saint) was born today in 1774. Why am I writing about her now? Well, when I was younger I went to a Catholic school where appropriately enough, I was taught by nuns.  My  parents aren't terribly religious people but they felt that I'd get a better education in that school. Contrary to popular belief that nuns are strict and sometimes even cruel teachers, the nuns who taught me were actually always very kind to me.  Anyway, around the time they were teaching me, I had to have major surgery and one of the nuns who taught me maths found out about it and insisted on giving me a locket which claims to have a piece of Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton's bone marrow.  When she gave it to me she said something to the effect of that it was meant to protect me and if I was ever scared I should pray to it. To date, I've never actually prayed to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton but I do pray in general when I feel the need. Anyway, that locket is one of the most unusual things I have and eve if it is unusual, I rather like having it because it reminds me of how much people care about each other. I think that locket meant quite a bit to the nun who gave it to me and so the fact that she was willing to give it to me still means quite a bit to me. I hope everyone has something unusual that someone gave them. Sometimes, I think the most unusual gifts are the most fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment