Friday, September 8, 2017

A fun Abilities Expo

I went to the Abilities Expo in Boston and even though I went as part of my work, it is something I'd attend even on my own time. It's an annual event where various disability advocacy organizations and vendors that offer services to people with disabilities gather to show the public how they can help people with disabilities. I like it because it's fun to see all the new things that have been created to support people with disabilities. This year one of the new machines that was being showcased was a motorized scooter you could fold up so it turned into a suitcase which I thought was pretty cool. They also have free wheelchair repair stations which are super helpful for so many people. I also like going to this event for work because I like showing off the organization I work for. We're dedicated to empowering people with disabilities. We do so by promoting legislation to increase housing and building accessibility and by creating publications to bring more attention to issues that negatively impact people with disabilities so it can help other service providers to better serve people with disabilities. (To learn more about where I work follow this link: http://www.dpcma.org.) Anyway, I'm excited because on Sunday they're going to have a dance show where people in wheelchairs dance. It'll be really fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment