Friday, September 1, 2017

Teachers who gave me something to think about

"I like a teacher who gives you something to take home to think about besides homework."- Lily Tomlin
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/lilytomlin108017.html

I've always liked learning and so I liked this quote because it reminded me of of the more interesting things teachers gave me to take home besides homework. These include:

  • A relic-I went to a Catholic elementary/middle school and when one of my teachers who was a nun found out I was born with a serious illness, she gave me a box which contained a locket and inside the locket (according to a tag on the box) it contained a piece of the bone marrow of St. Elizabeth Ann Seton. She said it would protect me. Although I sill think it's the oddest thing I have, it also makes me think of the different ways people show they care about each other and how much religion and faith can mean to so many people. 
  • My first chapter book-one of my teachers in elementary school got each student in her class a chapter book. I love reading and so I thought it was really cool she did that. It did make me want to read more. 
  • A nickname- I grew up being called Margaret and I have nothing against that name at all. (my family members still call me by that name sometimes-especially if they're irritated with me.) Anyway, the name Margaret was too long for an art project that we were trying to do in class (each student would write their name vertically on a piece of paper and write a word we felt described ourselves that started with each letter of our names.) My name was deemed to long to fit on the paper we used and so it was shortened to Maggie and people have called me Maggie ever since. I remember going home that da and thinking that it was rather nice to have a nickname as it seems like a way of showing affection somehow. I also thought (and still think sometimes) that as long as it's not a name that's derogatory, cruel, or mean spirited, I don't really mind what name people call me. 
I learned many more things from my teachers throughout the years but these things stick in mind as they helped shape who I am and/or how I think about the world. 

1 comment: