Saturday, November 18, 2017

How I learned to speak up more

"A voice is a human gift; it should be cherished and used, to utter fully human speech as possible. Powerlessness and silence go together."-Margaret Atwood
Read more at: https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/margaret_atwood_392759

When I was younger I used to get really frustrated when I felt like there were so many things that seemed wrong and people were being harmed and I hated it because I felt like there was little I could do to help. I remember my mother saying that it wasn't any good being frustrated and feeling helpless and if I was upset about stuff I should channel the anger I felt into doing something good and speaking up. That idea has influenced most of the things I do now. Although I still get frustrated with things and especially things that negatively impact people with disabilities, I know that I can do a lot with my voice and although it might not make everything all right again, it is something I can do to make things a bit better for others. With those in mind I feel more at peace. 

No comments:

Post a Comment